TRIBUNA continues its project presenting political events that took place exactly one year ago. This time, we invite you to remember what happened on August 22, 2025.
Vladimir Voronin’s statement
Vladimir Voronin, chairman of the Party of Communists of the Republic of Moldova (PCRM), issued a statement emphasizing that he had not been serious during a television program when he said that the bag containing a calendar allegedly offered by former PDM leader Vladimir Plahotniuc to Igor Dodon contained €860,000.
Vlad Cebotari — added to the SIS list
The Intelligence and Security Service (SIS) published a new order in the Official Gazette amending and supplementing the list of persons considered associated with Vladimir Plahotniuc. In addition to names already known, the list now included Vlad Cebotari, former Minister of Justice and a prominent member of the Modern Democratic Party of Moldova (PDMM).
The inclusion entailed restrictions on several civil and economic rights under Law No. 25/2016 on the application of international restrictive measures. The PDMM accused SIS Director Alexandru Musteață of issuing an abusive order intended to restrict Vlad Cebotari’s rights just days before the start of the election campaign.
Dragoș Galbur’s announcement
Dragoș Galbur, chairman of the National Moldovan Party, announced that his party was facing serious obstacles during the election campaign, after transport companies and printing houses refused to cooperate with the party. He said they had contacted 16 companies and all had refused once they learned that the request concerned a political party.
Nick Pietrowicz — at the CEC
The leadership of the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) received Nick Pietrowicz, Chargé d’Affaires ad interim of the U.S. Embassy in the Republic of Moldova. The officials discussed various aspects related to the organization of the parliamentary elections, including measures taken by the CEC to ensure the proper conduct of the electoral process.
Protest at the Ministry of Agriculture
The Republican Party “Heart of Moldova” held another protest, this time outside the Ministry of Agriculture and Food Industry. Activists accused PAS of driving domestic producers into bankruptcy and claimed that Moldova had been transformed from an exporting country into one that imports most of its agricultural products.
SIS announcement
The Intelligence and Security Service announced that a public organization associated with Victoria Furtună, leader of the “Moldova Mare” Party, had been placed on the sanctions list. The politician denounced the measure as “an unprecedented abuse,” arguing that the government was trying to silence the opposition.
PSDE conference
At a press conference, the European Social Democratic Party (PSDE) condemned an act of violence against Rodion Buruiană, a Hîncești district councilor and parliamentary candidate, and called for urgent intervention by the authorities.
According to the party, Rodion Buruiană “was attacked and brutally beaten by PAS councilor Iurie Zoină.”
Ion Ceban’s reaction
Ion Ceban, leader of the National Alternative Movement and part of the “Alternative” Bloc, reacted to what he called an “abusive ban” imposed on him after Mihai Chirică, the mayor of Iași, announced the initiation of the procedure to cancel the twinning agreement between the two cities.
“I am sorry that, in this political game involving my ban, several representatives of Romania are being drawn in and made to issue certain statements,” he said.
Economic Council meeting
Prime Minister Dorin Recean met with representatives of the business community during a plenary meeting of the Economic Council. Discussions focused on the current economic situation, challenges facing entrepreneurs, and ways to modernize the Economic Council.
CEC meeting
The Central Electoral Commission approved several decisions concerning the parliamentary elections of September 28, 2025.
Victoria Sanduța was registered as an independent candidate for the position of member of the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova. The Commission also approved the addition of three more candidates to the parliamentary candidate list of the “Democracy at Home” Party.
The CEC also took note of information contained in reports on the financing of initiative groups, as well as information concerning the absence of income and expenditure during the signature-collection period for 12 independent parliamentary candidates who had nominated themselves and had not established initiative groups.
Children — at the Government and Parliament
Around 100 children participating in the government’s DiasporaOriginiReveniri (DOR) program met at the Government with Prime Minister Dorin Recean and members of the Cabinet, and at Parliament with Parliament Speaker Igor Grosu. The children learned about the work of the state institutions.
Internships — completed
Sixty-three students and graduates from Moldova and the diaspora completed internships under the prestigious joint program of the Delegation of the European Union and the Government of the Republic of Moldova. They received their certificates at a ceremony attended by Deputy Prime Minister Cristina Gherasimov and EU Ambassador Jānis Mažeiks.
Maia Sandu meets Jānis Mažeiks
President Maia Sandu met with EU Ambassador to Chișinău Jānis Mažeiks at the end of his mandate.
According to the Presidency, during his tenure Moldova took historic steps toward European integration: submitting its EU membership application in March 2022, obtaining candidate-country status in June 2022, and opening accession negotiations in December 2023.
Presidency announcement
The Presidency announced that on August 27, 2025, Independence Day, French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk were expected in Chișinău at the invitation of President Maia Sandu.
On August 31, 2025, Romanian Language Day, Romanian President Nicușor Dan was expected to visit Chișinău.
CUB invitation
In the spirit of an electoral climate based on respect, fair play, and openness to dialogue and cooperation, the Party of Coalition for Unity and Welfare (CUB) invited political competitors — PAS, MAN, LOC, PNM, PL, and PLDM — to participate in a mini-football tournament.
The teams were to consist exclusively of candidates included on each party’s official electoral list.
Prime Minister’s visit
Prime Minister Dorin Recean visited the “Made in Moldova” exhibition-festival, which brought together 150 companies from across the country. The event took place from August 22–24 and aimed to promote local products and services.
Exhibition at Parliament
Parliament opened a photography exhibition depicting the realities of the war in Ukraine and the courage of people who remained undaunted in the face of challenges.
The exhibition, titled “The Undaunted: Light Through Darkness,” by Ukrainian photographer Serhiy Himiush, brought together senior officials, diplomats, cultural representatives, and Parliament employees.
BEP leaders — in Taraclia
A meeting took place in Taraclia between the leaders of the Patriotic Electoral Bloc of Socialists, Communists, Heart of Moldova, and Future of Moldova (BEP) — Igor Dodon, Irina Vlah, Vasile Tarlev, and PCRM representative Constantin Starîș — and members of territorial organizations from Taraclia, Cimișlia, and Basarabeasca districts.
Igor Dodon at a scientific conference
Igor Dodon, chairman of the Party of Socialists of the Republic of Moldova, participated in the scientific-practical conference “Liberation. Cannes of World War II,” dedicated to the 81st anniversary of the liberation of Moldova from fascist occupation and the Iași–Chișinău Operation.
PLDM statement
The Liberal Democratic Party of Moldova (PLDM) expressed deep concern over the actions of the Moldovan authorities. The party stated that, from the very beginning of the parliamentary election campaign, the authorities had been taking actions that restricted the fundamental right to vote and to stand for election.
Renewed appeal to Maia Sandu
Independent parliamentary candidate Andrei Năstase once again appealed to President Maia Sandu, asking her not to sign the decree appointing Alexandru Machidon as Prosecutor General.
NOI Party statement
The “New Historical Option” (NOI) political party stated that the region of which Moldova is part was undergoing profound transformations. According to the party, these changes were creating new opportunities for Moldova that needed to be fully exploited.
Vladimir Voronin — on the “Myrotvorets” website
Former Moldovan president and Communist Party leader Vladimir Voronin was added to the database published on the “Myrotvorets” website, in the platform’s Romanian-language version.
The authors of the page cited allegations that he had acted contrary to Moldova’s national interests, spread Kremlin propaganda, and was an agent of influence for Russian special services.
Source: Political Almanac 2025







